Imperfectly Perfect - Imperfectamente Perfecta
There is no perfect body, but every body is real, no matter its size, and we models are normal girls/women, and we deal with the same things that all girls/women deal with. And modeling is a double-edged sword: it can help you boost your confidence, or make you hate your body. In my case, it made me realize that the way I looked wasn't that bad.
I come from a family where everyone is fairly tall and naturally slim, and I am no exception. I was born a small baby, and as a child I was small and thin. Then, around 12, my awkward stage began. I entered my teens, I grew a little bit, and I became too thin, although I was healthy and eating well. I was the thinnest girl in the class, and that, together with my introverted and calm personality and my maturity, made me feel different. The way I was didn't bother me, but my thinness made me feel uncomfortable. Nobody at school teased me for the way I was or looked, and I knew that everything was fine with me, but being that "awkward-looking" person in the class wasn't comfortable. Hahaha!
And there weren't any negative comments from the adults. Adults didn't even show concern about my thinness. In fact, they were telling me I looked good, that I'm cute, that I'm pretty… Even one of my cousins, who at that time was already an adult and plus-size, called me a model. My PE teachers, who were all kinesiologists and weighed me a couple of times a year, never said anything negative about my weight. And any doctor I saw, for some reason, never saw anything wrong with my body size. The only thing that was worrying my family doctor was my "paleness" (I don't know why, because I never looked like Casper). And she was sending me to do whole blood analyses. The results of those blood analyses were fine. I just had and I have a fair skin tone.
So, I wasn't 100% happy with myself, just because of myself, which was normal because we girls tend to focus more on our little things. And I was trying to hide and change what was making me feel uncomfortable. To feel more comfortable at school, I was hiding my thinness by wearing baggy clothes. My parents didn't find it strange that I wore baggy clothes, because although I was always into beauty, fashion and taking care of myself, I also had my tomboyish side. I liked to play soccer with the neighborhood boys, I liked playing video games... And after coming home from school, the first thing I was doing was changing into clothes of my size. I also often wore equestrian outfits, which were quite tight and emphasized my figure. And I never told my parents that I wasn't 100% happy with myself because of my body size. My mom barely changed size after multiple pregnancies, and my dad hasn't gained weight since his army days. So the idea of telling them that just seemed stupid and absurd to me. But the baggy clothes didn't increase the number on the body scale.
So I started eating more junk food to gain some weight. I ate hamburgers, I ate french fries, which I liked and still like. Obviously, I didn't eat just junk food, and lived on it. I ate home-cooked meals every day. My mom was preparing simple but healthy and wholesome dishes, and she always made sure I had freshly cooked food. For example, she would prepare lunch and then go pick me up from school, so that when we arrived home, the food was at the perfect temperature. I always ate more fruits than sweets. For me, sweets were always just a treat or a dessert. And I was walking everywhere. I also had serious physical education, where I had to run, jump, climb, do some gymnastics elements, and play sports like handball, basketball, football, volleyball... So, I didn't gain a single gram, and I stopped actively trying to gain weight.
That was frustrating, but I accepted that I couldn't change the way my body looks. And well, nothing… I carried on with my life. Yes, I was still bothered that I was too thin, but it didn't keep me awake at night. And one day, at one show-jumping contest when I was 15, I was approached by a modeling agent who asked me if I wanted to become a model. At first, I said no, but later I changed my mind. And in the first meeting with that agent, she was explaining why she thought I met the criteria to be a model. She said, "You're a perfect mix of classic beauty and unique edge. You're also tall, and you have a slender and well-proportioned body frame and good posture. All that makes you model material and extremely versatile, with the ability to kill it editorially and commercially." I didn't understand much of what she said, but I liked what she said because obviously everything she said was something good. And what she said had a positive effect on me. After hearing that professional and objective opinion about the way I looked from her, from a professional who wasn't just being nice, I realized that the way I looked wasn't that bad.
When we signed the contract, we started doing test shoots. I loved how I looked in the pictures, and when I started working, I was getting booked for jobs and making money because of my looks. People in the industry were saying things like, "You're perfect," "You're gorgeous," "You're stunning"... I stayed grounded, but that obviously boosted my confidence. I became 100% happy with myself and felt so good about myself. Yes, I was also getting rejected because of my looks, but that didn't affect my confidence, because I was clear that they reject you because of something in your looks, you're not the person they have in mind, because you don't fit their vision… not because something is wrong with you. I also always knew how to separate my looks from me as a person.
And I never struggled with my weight since I started modeling. I was eating whatever I wanted and wasn't gaining weight. I was naturally skinny and very active. I walked everywhere and worked out three times a week. And when I suddenly gained some weight, it distributed in my favor. So, I was happy with that weight gain. And my agent who is very good person never was like, "You have to lose weight," nor did she put me on inactive status when I suddenly got that weight, until I lost that weight. And honestly, I was never told to lose weight or pressured to lose weight. I started modeling in Madrid, and my whole career was based in Madrid, although I also worked in other markets… and in Spain that's been almost illegal since 2006. Hahaha. (In 2006, the Spanish government became the first government in the world to officially regulate the fashion industry and ban underweight models from the runways, and then, in 2007, they banned them from the entire fashion industry, including magazines and advertisements.) Also my sub-agents in Paris, Milan, New York, and Los Angeles didn't even try to tell or do that, because they had it very clear that they can't mistreate me and that I wasn't going to do whatever it takes to get a job or to get more jobs, to succeed. My mom, who was very involved in my career, helped me set those boundaries, and my mother-agent backed me up. So, I always had a "special" treatment.
That "special" treatment should have been and should be normal treatment in modeling. I heard from a lot of models who started modeling, like I did in 2008, that they regret not standing up for themselves and not setting boundaries. So, if you want to be a model or you're a young model, stand in front of a mirror, take a good look at yourself, and if you're happy with your size, if you're happy with the way your body looks, and you don’t want to be thinner, don't get thinner. Work with what you have, with what genetics and nature gave you. There is an agent who will believe in you, support you... There is a place for you in modeling, and there will be jobs for you. Maybe you won't be booked for high-fashion jobs where you have to fit into insanely small outfits, but there are a lot of commercial jobs you can book being exactly the size you are. And you should grow a thick skin, because there is always someone who will say something nasty about you, and you need to learn how to deal with negative comments, not just from industry professionals, but from random people on the internet too.
When you become a model, you gain fans, but you also gain people who don't like you for some reason. (It's okay if someone doesn't like you. You will never be everyone's cup of tea and you can't nothing to do about, and you shouldn't. Stay true to yourself.) Also, as a model, you pretty often stumble upon comments like: "models are not real women," "models' bodies are not real bodies,"
"models' bodies send the wrong message"... And although those comments are not directed directly at you, you take them personally because you're a model, and they can make you feel all kinds of things. At first, those comments made me angry and I really wanted to fight, hahaha, but I held myself back, and over time thoes comments started to make me laugh. And instead of getting mad about those comments, I started making fun of them. When I see comment of that kind, I post something like, "If I’m not a real woman for being thin and for being a model, then what am I? An animal? An alien? A hybrid?" or "My body is not a messenger; it doesn’t send messages." But what doesn't make me laugh is when someone blames models for their insecurities and for how they feel about their looks, bodies...
I know that sometimes the media can twist things and get things wrong, and that advertising is made to make you feel like you're not pretty enough, not good enough, until you buy some product...
But insecurities and negative feelings about yourself have their roots in childhood or adolescence. If your parents give you confidence by telling you, "Oh, you look so beautiful, you're so smart, you can do it," you start believing it, and no one can take that confidence away from you. Obviously, there are moments of insecurity, and that is normal, as are situations when you feel uncomfortable… but that doesn't make you any less confident. And as an adult, you're in charge. You decide whether to feed your insecurities or negative feelings about yourself by talking to yourself negatively, or to feed your confidence by talking to yourself positively. So we models are not responsible for someone's feelings. We’re just selling other people’s products while dealing with our own things, while handling our own issues… And we are not perfect, which is normal, because we are real human beings, made of flesh and bone, not synthetic dolls.
Like every human being, I have good days, not-so-good days, and bad days when I’m a complete mess. Sometimes I get bloated, I have rolls in certian positions, when I get on the sun without sunscreen I get eczema… When I don't work out for a while, my tummy becomes more flabby, and my legs get slimmer, without muscles… And because I have PCOS (one of the most common hormonal imbalances in women), I deal with hirsutism. Hirsutism is excessive hair growth in places where it shouldn't be, and it's really annoying. So I remove hair and I remove it a lot. Not just for work. I don't pose in lingerie and bikinis. If I were posing in lingerie and, certain people on the team would help me with body makeup and photoshop. Hahaha!) It's because I hate hair. Hahaha! And yes, I get a little mustache to, and I remove them. Hahaha! And that's normal. And I'm not the only model dealing with this. And here are a lot of models who deal with that. And there are also models who deal with cellulite, stretch marks… and all kind of this. So I'm not perfect, and I'm not trying to maintain a picture-perfect image on social media. Obviously, I don't post pictures that don't make me feel comfortable, but I'm very open about a lot of things, and I want people to know that I'm a normal person despite being a model. And I want every little girl, girl, woman... to know that it doesn't mean she's not pretty just because she's not "model pretty". I want every girl and woman to know that she doesn't have to be a sample size to be attractive.
And when it comes to my body, I have no complaints. I love my body that looks good, that looks healthy, and that serves me very well.
No existe un cuerpo perfecto, pero todos los cuerpos son reales, sin importar su tamaño, y nosotras las modelos somos chicas/mujeres normales y lidiamos con las mismas cosas con las que lidian todas las chicas/mujeres. En mi caso, me hizo darme cuenta de que la manera en que me veía no estaba tan mal.
Vengo de una familia en la que todos son bastante altos y naturalmente delgados, y yo no soy la excepción. Nací siendo una bebé pequeña, y de niña también era pequeña y delgada. Alrededor de los 12 años, comenzó mi etapa rara. Entré en la adolescencia, crecí un poco y me volví demasiado delgada, aunque estaba sana y comía bien. Era la chica más delgada de la clase, y eso, junto con mi personalidad introvertida y tranquila y mi madurez, me hacía sentir diferente. Mi forma de ser no me molestaba, pero mi delgadez me incomodaba. Nadie en la escuela se burlaba de mí por mi forma de ser o por la manera en que me veía, y yo sabía que todo estaba bien conmigo, pero ser esa persona "de aspecto raro" de la clase no era cómodo. Hahaha!
Y no hubo ningún comentario negativo por parte de los adultos. Los adultos ni siquiera mostraban preocupación por mi delgadez. De hecho, me decían que me veía bien, que era dulce, que era bonita… Incluso una de mis primas, que en ese momento ya era adulta y de talla grande, me llamó modelo. Mis profesores de educación física, que eran todos kinesiólogos capacitados y me pesaban un par de veces al año, nunca dijeron nada negativo sobre mi peso. Y cualquier doctor/doctora que veía, por alguna razón, nunca encontró nada malo en el tamaño de mi cuerpo. Lo único que preocupaba a mi doctora de familia era mi "palidez" (no sé por qué, porque nunca me vi como Casper). Y me enviaba a hacer análisis de sangre completos. Los resultados de esos análisis siempre fueron normales. Simplemente tenía y tengo un tono de piel claro.
Así que no estaba 100% feliz conmigo misma, solo por mí misma, lo cual era normal porque las chicas nos fijamos más en nuestras cositas. Y yo intentaba ocultar y cambiar aquello que me hacía sentir incómoda. Para sentirme más cómoda en la escuela, ocultaba mi delgadez usando ropa holgada. A mis padres no les pareció extraño que usara ropa holgada, porque aunque siempre me interesaron la belleza, la moda y el cuidado personal, también tenía mi lado marimacho. Me gustaba jugar al fútbol con los chicos del barrio, jugar videojuegos.. Y cuando llegaba a casa después de la escuela, lo primero que hacía era cambiarme y ponerme ropa de mi talla. También a menudo usaba ropa de equitación, que era bastante ajustada y resaltaba mi figura. Y yo nunca dije a mis padres que no estaba 100% feliz conmigo misma por el tamaño de mi cuerpo. Mi mamá casi no cambió de talla después de varios embarazos, y mi papá no ha subido de peso desde sus días en el ejército. Así que la idea de decirles eso me parecía simplemente estúpida y absurda. Pero la ropa holgada no aumentaba el número en la báscula.
Así que empecé a comer más comida chatarra para subir un poco de peso. Comía hamburguesas, papas fritas, que me gustaban y todavía me gustan. Obviamente, no vivía solo de comida chatarra. Comía comidas caseras todos los días. Mi mamá preparaba platos simples pero saludables y nutritivos, y siempre se aseguraba de que tuviera comida recién hecha. Por ejemplo, preparaba el almuerzo y luego iba a recogerme de la escuela, para que cuando llegáramos a casa, la comida estuviera a la temperatura perfecta. Siempre comía más frutas que dulces. Para mí, los dulces siempre eran solo un treat o un postre. Y caminaba a todas partes. También tenía educación física intensa, donde tenía que correr, saltar, trepar, hacer algunos elementos de gimnasia y practicar deportes como balonmano, baloncesto, fútbol, voleibol… Así que no subí ni un solo gramo y dejé de intentar activamente ganar peso.
Fue frustrante, pero acepté que no podía cambiar la manera en que mi cuerpo se veía. Y bueno, nada… seguí con mi vida. Sí, todavía me molestaba que era demasiado delgada, pero no me quitaba el sueño. Y un día, en un concurso de salto ecuestre cuando tenía 15 años, se me acercó una agente de modelos que me preguntó si quería ser modelo. Al principio dije que no, pero después cambié de opinión. Y en la primera reunión con esa agente, ella explicó por qué pensaba que cumplía con los requisitos para ser modelo. Ella dijo: "Eres una mezcla perfecta de belleza clásica y un toque único. También eres alta y tienes una estructura corporal esbelta y bien proporcionada y una buena postura. Todo eso te hace material de modelo y extremadamente versátil, con la capacidad de arrasar tanto en lo editorial como en lo comercial." Yo no entendí mucho de lo que dijo, pero me agradó lo que dijo porque obviamente todo lo que dijo era algo bueno. Y eso que dijo tuvo un efecto positivo en mí. Después de escuchar esa opinión profesional y objetiva sobre la forma en que me veía de su parte, de una profesional que no solo estaba siendo amable, me di cuenta de que la manera en que me veía no era tan malo.
Cuando firmamos el contrato, empezamos a hacer sesiones de prueba. Me encantaba cómo me veía en las fotos, y cuando comencé a trabajar, me contrataban para trabajos y ganaba dinero gracias a mi apariencia. La gente en la industria decía cosas como, "Eres perfecta", "Eres preciosa", "Eres impresionante"... Me mantuve con los pies en la tierra, pero eso obviamente aumentó mi confianza. Me volví 100% feliz conmigo misma y me sentía muy bien conmigo misma. Sí, también me rechazaban por mi apariencia, pero eso no afectaba mi confianza, porque tenía claro que te rechazan porque no eres la persona que tienen en mente, porque no encajas en su visión… por algo tu apariencian, no porque haya algo mal contigo. También siempre supe separar mi apariencia de mí como persona.
Y nunca tuve problemas con mi peso desde que empecé a modelar. Comía lo que quería y no subía de peso. Era naturalmente delgada y muy activa. Caminaba a todas partes y hacía ejercicio tres veces a la semana. Y cuando de repente subí un poco de peso, se distribuyó a mi favor. Así que estaba contenta con ese aumento de peso. Y mi agente, que es muy buena persona, nunca dijo, "Tienes que bajar de peso,"ni me puso en estatus inactivo cuando de repente subí ese peso, hasta que lo perdí. Y, honestamente, nunca me dijeron que debía bajar de peso ni me presionaron para hacerlo. Empecé a modelar en Madrid, y toda mi carrera era basada en Madrid, aunque también trabajé en otros mercados… y en España eso ha sido casi ilegal desde 2006. ¡Hahaha!. (En 2006, el gobierno español se convirtió en el primer gobierno del mundo en regular oficialmente la industria de la moda y prohibir a las modelos con bajo peso desfilar en las pasarelas, y luego, en 2007, las prohibieron en toda la industria de la moda, incluyendo revistas y anuncios publicitarios.) Y mis subagentes en París, Milán, Nueva York y Los Ángeles ni siquiera intentaron decir o hacer eso, porque tenían muy claro que no podían maltratarme y que yo no voy a hacer lo que sea para ganar un trabajo o para ganar más, para tener éxito. Mi mamá, que estuvo muy involucrada en mi carrera, me ayudó a establecer esos límites, y mi agente principal me apoyó. Así que siempre tuve un "trato especial".
Ese "trato especial" debería haber sido y debe ser un trato normal en el modelaje. He escuchado de muchas modelos que empezaron a modelar, como yo en 2008, que se arrepienten de no ponerse firme
a sí mismas y de no poner límites. Así que, si quieres ser modelo o eres una modelo joven, ponte delante de un espejo, mírate bien, y si estás contenta con tu talla, si estás contenta con cómo se ve tu cuerpo, y no quieres estar más delgada, no adelgaces. Trabaja con lo que tienes, con lo que la genética y la naturaleza te dieron. Hay una o un agente que va a creer en ti, que te apoya... Hay un lugar para ti en el modelaje, habrá trabajos contigo. Quizás no te contraten para trabajos de alta moda donde tienes que caber en outfits increíblemente pequeños, pero hay un montón de trabajos comerciales para los que puedes estar contratada siendo exactamente la talla que eres. Y debes crecer una piel gruesa, porque siempre habrá alguien que dirá algo desagradable sobre ti, y necesitas aprender a lidiar con comentarios negativos, no solo de profesionales de la industria, sino también de gente random en internet.
Cuando te conviertes en modelo, ganas fans, pero también ganas gente a la que no le gustas por alguna razón. (No pasa nada si a alguien no le gustas. Nunca vas a ser del gusto de todo el mundo y no puedes hacer nada al respecto, ni deberías hacerlo. Mantente fiel a ti misma.) También, como modelo, te topas muy a menudo con comentarios como: "las modelos no son las mujeres reales", "los cuerpos de las modelos no son cuerpos reales", "los cuerpos de las modelos mandan un mensaje equivocado"… Y aunque esos comentarios no estén dirigidos directamente a ti, los tomas de manera personal porque eres modelo, y pueden hacerte sentir todo tipo de cosas. A mí, al principio, esos comentarios me enojaban y me daban muchas ganas de pelear, hahaha, pero me contenía, y con el tiempo esos comentarios empezaron darme risa. Y en lugar de hacer corajes por esos comentarios, empecé a burlarme de esos comentarios. Cuando veo comentarios de ese tipo, publico algo como, "Si no soy una mujer real por ser delgada y modelo, ¿entonces qué soy? ¿Un animal? ¿Un alienígena? ¿Un híbrido?" o “Mi cuerpo no es Messenger; no envía mensajes." Pero lo que no me da risa es cuando alguien culpa a las modelos por sus inseguridades y por cómo se sienten respecto a su aspecto físico, a su cuerpo...
Sé que a veces los medios pueden distorsionar las cosas y equivocarse, y que la publicidad está hecha para que sientas que no eres lo suficientemente bonita, lo suficientemente buena, hasta que compres algún producto… Pero las inseguridades y los sentimientos negativos sobre ti misma tienen sus raíces en la infancia o la adolescencia. Si tus padres te dan confianza diciéndote, "Oh, te ves tan hermosa, eres tan inteligente, tú puedes hacerlo," empiezas a creerlo, y nadie puede quitarte esa confianza. Obviamente, hay momentos de inseguridad, y eso es normal, al igual que las situaciones en las que te sientes incómoda… pero eso no te hace menos confiada. Y como adulta, tú estás a cargo. Tú decides si vas a alimentar tus inseguridades o sentimientos negativos sobre ti misma hablándote negativamente, o si vas a alimentar tu confianza hablándote positivamente. Así que nosotras, las modelos, no somos responsables de los sentimientos de los demás. Solo estamos vendiendo productos de otras personas mientras lidiamos con nuestras propias cosas y manejamos nuestros propios asuntos… Y no somos perfectas, lo cual es normal, porque somos seres humanos reales, hechos de carne y hueso, no muñecas sintéticas.
Como todo ser humano, tengo días buenos, días no tan buenos y días malos en los que estoy hecha un desastre.
A veces me pongo hinchada, me salen rollitos en ciertas posiciones, cuando salgo al sol sin protector solar me da eccema… Cuando no hago ejercicio por un tiempo, mi pancita se vuelve más flácido, mis piernas se vuelven más delgaditas, sin músculos… Y como tengo SOP (uno de los desequilibrios hormonales más comunes entre las mujeres), me estoy lidiando con el hirsutismo. El hirsutismo es el crecimiento excesivo de vello en lugares donde no debería, y es realmente molesto. Así que me depilo, y me depilo mucho. No solo por trabajo. (No poso en lencería ni en bikinis. Si posara en lencería y en bikinis, ciertas personas del equipo me ayudarían con maquillaje para el cuerpo y Photoshop. ¡Hahaha!) Sino porque odio el vello. ¡Hahaha! Y sí, también me sale un pequeño bigotito, y me lo depilo. ¡Hahaha! Y eso es normal. Y no soy la única modelo lidiando con esto. Hay muchas modelos que lidian con eso. Y también hay modelos que lidian con celulitis, estrías… y todo tipo de cosas.
Así que no soy perfecta, y no estoy tratando de mantener una imagen de foto perfecta en las redes sociales. Obviamente, no publico fotos que no me hagan sentir cómoda, pero soy muy abierta sobre muchas cosas, y quiero que la gente sepa que soy una persona normal a pesar de ser modelo. Y quiero que cada niña, chica, mujer... sepa que no significa que no sea bonita solo porque no es "bonita como una modelo". Quiero que cada chica y mujer sepa que no tiene que ser una talla de muestra para ser atractiva.
Y cuando se trata de mi cuerpo, no tengo quejas. Amo mi cuerpo, que se ve bien, que se ve saludable y que me funciona muy bien.
Ana Lucia
Comments
Post a Comment